Trigger Warning: This post contains descriptions of drug use.
Time for some introspection. I’ve never been more wholly assured that I am an addict. It’s been almost a year since I’ve taken a drug that wasn’t prescribed to me, not including marijuana, alcohol, and nicotine. After all that time, I am still an addict, and I suspect I always will be. I am sober in writing this, besides my nicotine vaporizer sitting next to me and the amphetamines I take for ADHD making their way through my bloodstream. I suspect I could live without this upper in my system, but it is difficult. Depression and anxiety don’t hit as hard when I take my pills, though the fact that I take them creates a whole new cause for concern. They improve my standard of living, but at what cost? Is being chemically dependent on a substance worth having an improved quality of life? I still don’t know for sure.
Time for some introspection. I’ve never been more wholly assured that I am an addict. It’s been almost a year since I’ve taken a drug that wasn’t prescribed to me, not including marijuana, alcohol, and nicotine. After all that time, I am still an addict, and I suspect I always will be. I am sober in writing this, besides my nicotine vaporizer sitting next to me and the amphetamines I take for ADHD making their way through my bloodstream. I suspect I could live without this upper in my system, but it is difficult. Depression and anxiety don’t hit as hard when I take my pills, though the fact that I take them creates a whole new cause for concern. They improve my standard of living, but at what cost? Is being chemically dependent on a substance worth having an improved quality of life? I still don’t know for sure.
Marijuana
has been the starting point of addiction for me. Smoking night and day was a
part of my identity in the past; everyone in my life began associating me with
the drug, including myself. It functioned in the same way that alcohol functions
for many of my family members; the same way that any other drug seems to take
over someone’s life, though fortunately without the agonizing withdrawal
effects. This has been changing the last few months, as I’ve come to recognize
my addiction and control the urge. I’ve gotten to the point where I can have
weed and not smoke it. This is a trivial accomplishment to anyone who hasn’t
struggled with self-control, but to an addict it is a sign of hope.
If I pull
myself back in time I can still feel the rush of certain drugs. The anxious
sweat and chills at the beginning of an acid trip and the euphoric rush of
oxycodone in my nasal cavity are sensations that I’ve come to know. These drugs
are polar opposites in my mind. One gives you bursts of energy and tricks your
brain into seeing ordinary objects as beautiful. The other simply numbs you to
the experiences of life. As many people do, I felt eager to experience life
following my three acid trips, spaced out over a period of three years. After
developing an oxycodone habit, however, life didn’t seem as appealing. The same
could be said for any opiate, benzodiazepine, or tranquilizer habit.
George
Carlin explained addiction with a greater understanding than any doctor I’ve
talked to. Among other bits of wisdom on the topic, he said the more you take a
drug, you will feel less pleasure and more pain with each additional dose.
Carlin knew that people could overcome their addictions; something that many
addicts fail to recognize. I’m thankful that I realized the story I was writing
for myself was not something to be proud of, though I am not ashamed either.
All of my experiences have made me who I am, and I’m fine with that. It will
continue to be a struggle, but I am getting stronger every day. I still plan to
eventually come off my medication and quit smoking cigarettes, though I don’t
think that will happen if I don’t tell myself that I’m doing better every once
in a while. If there was any point in writing this, it is to tell myself that I
am doing better.
Thanks for sharing your very personal story with a class. It must be not easy to type it out to public. I feel you on the pain from cutting your addiction. I started cigarette and drinks since elementary school. I did it for about 10 years. I quit both of them on Jan. 1st of 2013 and till now I am smoke and alcohol free. I know how it feels like when people try to cut some habit from their lives, especially when those are addictive.And al so I do know how it feels like to be Free. Keep it up! Let's fight through! We can do this!
ReplyDeleteI admire your strength and determination in trying to overcome your addiction. Once you conquer this (which you will) you'll come out stronger and better version of yourself. I'm rooting for you.
ReplyDeleteIt is a struggle even taking the pills prescribed to you. I have to take medication for chronic migraines daily, so I understand your struggle with wanting to be pill free or having a better quality of life. There is a long line of alcoholism in my family, both on my mother's and father's side, so I have seen how difficult addiction can be. However, it sounds like you are on the right path. Good job, keep it up!
ReplyDeleteIt is a struggle even taking the pills prescribed to you. I have to take medication for chronic migraines daily, so I understand your struggle with wanting to be pill free or having a better quality of life. There is a long line of alcoholism in my family, both on my mother's and father's side, so I have seen how difficult addiction can be. However, it sounds like you are on the right path. Good job, keep it up!
ReplyDelete